Associate General Counsel
Competitive rates of pay + excellent benefits
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your legal skills? We’re seeking an Associate General Counsel based in New York City to join the team of the Office of the General Counsel as a senior attorney.
The Open Society Foundations works to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world’s largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) is a very active global group with staff in New York, Berlin and London. OGC focuses in the short term on transactional legal advice and compliance; in the medium term on policy making and good governance; and in the long term on helping make OSF an enduring philanthropy.
As an Associate General Counsel at Open Society, you will:
- advise on exempt organizations law, including compliance with US tax laws and regulations applicable to private foundations;
- advise on basic corporate transactions including service agreements, consultancies, commercial contracts such as software agreements, leases and vendor agreements, and financial transactions;
- provide general non-profit corporate advice, including compliance with regulations applicable to various OSF entities in and outside of the United States, as well as creation, governance, and administration of legal entities internationally;
- advise on the development and implementation of organizational policies;
- advise on intellectual property, defamation and data protection issues;
- provide training on legal issues and compliance to staff at all levels;
- other duties as assigned.
What we are looking for:
- advanced degree (J.D.) from an accredited law school and bar admission to practice in New York State (or willingness to be admitted;
- a minimum of approximately 6 years of practice at a law firm and/or in-house;
- excellent communication (verbal and written), contract drafting and negotiating skills, including in a virtual environment;
- a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving, tempered by an appreciation for legal complexity and risk;
- creative thinking, strong judgment and analytical skills, combined with integrity, professional discretion and the ability to work under pressure, prioritize and handle sensitive/confidential matters;
- strong relationship building skills, with experience managing internal and external organizational relationships in complex organizational environments, building partnerships;
- ability to work under pressure, manage workload, prioritize, manage simultaneous projects/tasks and meet deadlines, and maintain a sense of humor within a changing, fast-paced environment.
Desirable (but not essential):
- experience working in the non-profit field preferred;
- familiarity with tax law a plus;
- experience with basic corporate and financial transactions.
What we offer:
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more.
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Closing date: 16 August 2020.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
Location/Region: New York, NY (10001)